Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Goldilocks Constant and Other Matters

by Tom King

I haven't posted here in a while. I'm working on editing scans of Sam Campbell's book, "Loony Coon" for a group that's doing a film and website about the legendary nature writer most of us SDA kids remember from our childhood.  As part of it, they're creating eBooks and digitizing his surviving films.  It's a great project and I'm pleased to be a volunteer on the project.

I've written a couple of pieces aimed at non Adventist audiences that I think might also be appropriate here.  I also intend to write up the second part of my article on the Dobson Telescope.  I was hoping to assemble the scope I'm working on and take pictures of the process.  I'm working on 6 eBooks I have contracts for, so it will likely be a few more weeks before I get time, though.

I wrote I'm Not a Physicist, But I Play One in My Head....... as a tongue-in-cheek poke at the latest incongruous discover in physics and the lengths scientists go to in order to avoid including God in their explanations.

The Proper Use of Campfires is a piece I wrote after watching a Christian music video that took me back to the campfires of my youth and how these mini-celebrations of life are a powerful metaphor for Christian fellowship.

My Favorite Uncle Bobby Story is a tribute I wrote to the late former president of the Oklahoma Conference of Seventh Day Adventists, Robert Rider, a man I learned and important lesson about leadership from.  He was also my uncle. Uncle Bob taught me that you need to stop and take a look at what you're really supposed to be doing once in a while. It's a lesson every youth leader and Pathfinder director needs to learn before his puts the patch and the pin on his uniform.

All God's Creatures Got a Place in the Choir  is about the joy of spontaneous musical events. It offers an idea that can be used with young people as a witnessing tool - the "flashmob choir".  It's a neat deal to set up at your local mall or a busy downtown plaza or at a park when there are a lot of people there.

Thanks for following me here.  Please leave a comment if you have any ideas related to these posts. I'm also looking for "guest" writers who have something to contribute that helps define the roll of Adventist men and offers positive ways we can contribute the church. In this age of relentless negativity, SDA men need to be relentlessly positive.

© 2013 by Tom King - Puyallup, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment